Friday, June 26, 2015

Notice to Classmates (公告)

Notice to Classmates (公告)


In the class of 1963, we have approximately 75 friends (among 146 graduates) who have made known their e-mail addresses.  During the past few months, I have been trying to contact most of them. So far, we have only 50+ in my contact list. It means only one third of them are among frequently contacted.

Every day I have been sending “Hello” messages with attached articles, among which there are some forwarded ones, Power Points, and some of my own writing.  I am sure that in general you guys show interest in reading them, especially my own writing.  However, a saying goes, “He who tries to please everybody pleases nobody.” I apologize for not completely complying with personal interests of some at all.

Since there have been few feedbacks received, I do have a hard time understanding the key interest of yours. Certain difficulty arises as to how I should emphasize main ‘likes or hobbies’ of classmates to please you all.

Currently, there are about 15 people who declined to receive articles sent to them, and I, per their request, already deleted their names from contact list. There are some who gave a flat refusal to receive my articles, some with a white lie (lousily told) as excuse, and still others simply with remarks, showing anger at my articles.

Well, it’s been my pleasure to service all of you. However, from time to time, a notice of refusal to continue receiving my articles from someone is just like a dagger stabbing into my heart. Yes, you are not obligated to keep receiving them. But when expressing your request to discontinue receiving articles, please at least show your politeness, decency, ethics, or good manners.  To us elderly people, an unpolished or rude “request” is indeed hurting someone’s feelings. 

Those bluntly doing so, seem to me, to declare a solemn ‘termination’ of friendship (斷交) . I will comply with such a request of course, but I deeply regret the necessity of such a drastic measure taken by them. After over 50 years, we guys came to be happily reconnected with each other. But do we have to suddenly ‘bid farewell’ simply because we do not concur with each other’s points of view?  Please be so kind as to let me know what you think.


Justin Lai (賴正雄

06/26/15



No comments:

Post a Comment