Wednesday, January 13, 2016

同學互動

Important Notice to Classmates (1)-2016

Dear classmates:

How are you? It’s been some time since I last talked to you. Though I say ‘hi' to you once or twice a day regularly, people may not regard the greeting or appreciate it as intimate as usual, ordinary e-mail.

                                       「compliment or complaint」的圖片搜尋結果

To some of you, I am known not only by name but personally.  Unfortunately, I have a feeling that we are like ‘strangers’ sometimes when we meet each other online.  One of the reasons could be that we have not seen each other for a long time, nor did I ever attend a so-called reunion before. People might change as does time or occupation.

A few days ago, I received an eccentric message from a classmate, saying “Happy Birthday, and Happy New year” to me. I was confused about what this person is up to, or what it amounts to. A certain kind of ridicule? Or a sorry joke?  Because it is too late to say ‘Happy New Year’ for Solar New Year now, or too early for Chinese lunar New Year. It must be “crocodile tears”, which literally mean “insincere sorrow or concern, or sympathy”. For crocodiles are usually shedding tears to show pity for the animal they just ate.  In Taiwanese, such a behavior is called 狂神(pronounced as ‘kong sin’, meaning ‘nuts’) with men or “38”, or  "練嬈 (pronounced as ‘lien hiao’, meaning ‘flirting’) for ladies.  Whatever it may be, it is weird, bad-mannered, let alone ‘inappropriate’.

In addition, around two weeks ago during holiday seasons, I sent to classmates an electronic greeting card with my sincerest wishes. The number of recipients was as many as 65.  But in return I received just less than FIVE people’s greetings.  How could some people possibly claim that they know something about ‘social etiquette’ or good manners? We people are always emphasizing the importance of 禮尚往來, aren’t we?  

People, in this world needs interaction with others, friend or foe, from time to time for a better life.  I have been doing my best to better interaction among classmates but it seems that good intention of mine has gone to waste, and always has been passed by or deliberately ignored. It really hurts me!  Despite my well-intended attempt to please everyone of you, someone turns a cold shoulder on me.  Except some few classmates, I seldom hear from the majority of people, say, for over 2 moths, three months or even more than half a year.

Something we must agree upon is that we never like to talk to inactive or non-responsive people”.  Assuming them to be existing or living, I keep sending e-mail, only to get no response in the least. This surely discourages and disheartens me in a sense.

Not so pleasing as it seems to be, sending e-mail to classmates with postings every day is my routine and favorite job.  I am sure most of them enjoy reading them, especially some articles of my own writing.  Very few classmates gave me feedback, or comments, though.  Sometimes, if I am talking their language, or they can see eye to eye with my viewpoints, some good words might be uttered from their mouths, and make me really appreciative, but at other times they say nothing or bother to say anything.  If they disagree with me, I have to suffer at times from some harsh reprimand or criticism from them.  A Taiwanese proverb is true of this philosophy:「有功無賞,打破要賠」(No reward for achievements while compensation for any loss or damage is demanded.) Indeed, it is a tougher job than anyone can imagine. In Chinese, it is 吃力不討好。

In accepting e-mail messages from me, each one is also free to leave me any time if and when he/she decides to unsubscribe.  But in the meantime, I, myself  have decided not to send e-mail to some who remain not responsive, or showing little or no attention to interaction.

If you do not receive e-mail from me any longer, I am afraid that you might be one of them.  And from now on, I make up my mind to have more names deleted from my contact list.  Those who do not / will not respond or even acknowledge the receipt of the mail I am sending for as long as 30 (thirty) days, shall cease to be included in my list of contact any more. Because a person not responding to a mail for this long period may well be thought to be inactive, physically incapable, or “deceased” presumably. Please forgive me for using this loaded word. But, as a matter of fact, I have no idea whether these ‘people” are still alive, bed-ridden, reluctant, unable or unwilling to answer.  Let me declare even if they ARE my grandpa or grandma, I am not obligated to kiss their asses!

In April, 2015, I created a Blogger-台大外文系1963部落格, in which you can find all the postings categorized, differentiated and arranged in the order of nature and chronology.  If you missed out one posting, you can easily redeem or recover it by looking over the contents. And people indifferent to the common or routine greeting may get on any time to the Blogger, which is open to the public.  No one will know if you ever get access to the Blogger or how often you have visited it.  How convenient it is to visit our Blogger at will, and without saying hi to the owner of this Blogger!  However, there are two scenarios, hereby to be considered and expected:

1)      Suppose I survive some ones of you, my postings including all my own writings will continue. The energy and effort needed for my postings shall persist. Someone might question what I would do if the number of people receiving my e-mail is lessened to zero.  No. 1, I believe such a thing is least likely to happen. No. 2, I will hang on to the very last even with the only surviving classmate until I am no more. Besides, one smart recipient is even more valuable than a bunch of idiots, I suppose!

2)      Provided that I am survived by all of you (and it is very likely) my postings have to be discontinued unless someone else will take my place.  For I feel that my health is declining physically or physiologically nowadays. None know when I will breathe my last.  Were it to happen, our Blogger would remain what it is and may gradually be forgotten, becoming part of history, perhaps. In fact, we found no other bloggers created by our contemporary, our predecessors or descendants, graduated from Dept. of Foreign Language & Literature at Taida could be as competitive as ours, with chosen level of contents.  Accordingly, we have every reason to be proud of our unique Blogger for it is faithfully, honestly, and constantly attended to and managed.  It is specifically dedicated to good, fittest postings bilingual, and best selected Power Points. It surely is something we all take pride in!  But then, some day it will become a milestone of our class, 1963. And the last survivor of this class, I am sure, will be more than happy and proud to show to all his/her offspring every posting with exquisite taste in the Blogger.

Finally, nothing is further from my intention than to offend anyone of you.  Nevertheless, should you find anything mentioned above offensive to you, it must be a certain kind of misunderstanding, and hopefully, it could be clarified in some way.  Thank you for your patience with which to finish reading this lengthy notice, and have a nice day!


Justin Lai (賴正雄)


01/13/2016

   








No comments:

Post a Comment